President Donald Trump warned North Korea on Tuesday that any USA military option would be “devastating” for Pyongyang, but said the use of force was not Washington’s first option to deal with the country’s ballistic and nuclear weapons program.
The Pentagon described the mission as a “demonstration of United States resolve and a clear message that the president has many military options to defeat any threat”. “But if we take that option, it will be devastating, I can tell you that, devastating for North Korea. If we have to take it, we will”.
Pyongyang is still furious at Mr Trump’s inflammatory remarks at the UN General Assembly last week, and his subsequent tweet claiming the rogue nation “won’t be around for much longer”.
North Korean soldiers march.
In terms of a sense of urgency, “North Korea certainly poses the greatest threat today”, Dunford testified.
The North Korea crisis appears to have given the hawkish Abe a welcome boost in the polls following a series of scandals. However the official said the activity did not change their assessment of Pyongyang’s military posture.
North Korea’s foreign minister on Monday accused US President Donald Trump of declaring war against his country and said Pyongyang was ready to defend itself by shooting down US bombers. Trump also used the derisive “Rocket Man” reference to Kim in his speech to the U.N. General Assembly on September 19, but this time he added the word “little”. Pyongyang has been testing nuclear weapons and intercontinental ballistic missiles and is feared to be trying to flawless a method of delivering those weapons. On Monday, as he was leaving the United Nations General Assembly meetings, North Korea’s Foreign Minister asserted that his country has the right to shoot down USA military aircraft, even outside North Korea’s airspace.
Tensions between North Korea and the United States continue to mount.
North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho branded the tweet a declaration of war and threatened that Pyongyang would shoot down USA warplanes flying near the Korean Peninsula, even if not in North Korean waters.
Trump tweeted Saturday: “Just heard Foreign Minister of North Korea speak at U.N. If he echoes thoughts of Little Rocket Man, they won’t be around much longer!”
North Korea said Wednesday that a joint declaration issued a decade ago with South Korea on realising peaceful national reunification “clarified the practical ways for building trust between the north and the south”, China’s Xinhua news agency reported.
“They’ve also been accepting invitations to attend dialogues hosted by others, including the Swiss and the Russians”, he said.
Asked about the North Korean minister’s latest remarks, United Nations spokesman Stephane Dujarric acknowledged the unsafe spike in tensions, saying: “When you have the rise of tension, the rise of rhetoric, so does the risk of miscalculation”.
During a visit to India, U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said diplomatic efforts continued.
Speaking at a daily news briefing, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang reiterated that China has all along upheld the aim of the denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula and protecting the global nuclear non-proliferation system.
“We hope the USA and North Korean politicians have sufficient political judgment to realize that resorting to military force will never be a viable way to resolve the peninsula issue and their own concerns”, Lu said.