Malaysians are banned from travelling to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (North Korea) until further notice, the Foreign Affairs Ministry said today.
The foreign ministry announced the ban in a statement Thursday and said it would last until further notice.
Malaysia will no longer allow its citizens to visit North Korea, the country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) confirmed to NK News on Thursday.
It asked Singaporeans to avoid all non-essential travel to the country “given recent developments and the unpredictable situation arising from the actions of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea”.
Last week, North Korean foreign minister Ri Yong Ho told reporters in NY that Pyongyang was ready to test a powerful nuclear weapon over the Pacific Ocean.
It is not immediately clear if the travel ban would affect Malaysia’s soccer team, which is scheduled to play against North Korea in Pyongyang in a 2019 Asian Cup qualifier on October 5.
Ties between Malaysia and North Korea reached a low over the murder of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s estranged brother in the klia2 budget airport in Sepang, in February.
He said this following a meeting with North Korean envoy to Malaysia, Kim Yu Song.
In 2009, Malaysia became the first country in the world to enjoy visa-free travel in North Korea, a privilege even neighboring China didn’t enjoy at the time.