Snap Removes Al Jazeera in Saudi Arabia Amid Qatar Tensions

They claim that the U.S. president intervened to stop Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates attacking Qatar, shortly after they severed ties with Doha in June. Leaked email correspondence between UAE Ambassador to America, Yousef Al-Otaiba, and USA diplomat Elliott Abrams reveal that plans to invade Qatar had been discussed as early as 2015, before the death of King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz. Riyadh is said to have come close to “conquering” Qatar, which according Al-Otaiba would “solve everyone’s problems”.

Trump said on Tuesday that the U.S. is pushing for an end to the Gulf dispute.

Earlier this month, Saudi Arabia suspended any dialogue with Qatar, accusing it of “distorting facts”, just after a report of a phone call between the leaders of both countries suggested a breakthrough in the Gulf dispute.

“The channel will still be available outside of Saudi Arabia in 14 other Middle Eastern countries, alongside other broadcasters”. Emirati officials have said in the past that the dispute can only be resolved by political, not military, means.

Use of military force by Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates against Qatar would likely throw the region into chaos. Trump described that summit as “epic and very important” in his comments on Tuesday. We are urging them to review the decision that was made. The Saudi-led coalition responded with a statement saying that a “military solution was never and will never be on the table”. He said, “Snapchat is a US-based company, publicly traded, and it stands for freedom of expression”. Qatar is the world’s richest country per capita and the biggest supplier of liquefied natural gas. As oil prices plummet, Saudi Arabia is looking to the internet for more sources of revenue.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *