Man bitten in face by rattlesnake while trying to cook it

Victor Pratt, 48, was throwing his child a birthday party when a rattlesnake slithered into his yard.

Unsurprisingly, the snake bit Pratt after it “slipped out of his grasp”.

Pratt was flown to Phoenix for treatment.

A man in Arizona was showing off for his friends and ended up spending five days in the hospital and kept heavily sedated to treat multiple bites from a rattlesnake. “I remember it getting stuck [on my hand]”, he said, explaining the last time he was bit by a rattlesnake – also in Coolidge where he grew up.

“I know to cook them and cut the heads off and stuff”, Pratt said.

Curry said the importance of inserting a tube in the patients airway is even more urgent with face bites.

“It makes your brain smash”, Pratt said, trying to describe what the pain felt like. “We had nothing else to do back in the day”. His family immediately rushed Pratt to the hospital, which doctors say saved his life.

The swelling has gone down and Pratt is now recovering in the hospital.

“The progression of swelling is very rapid and these patients will commonly have an obstructed airway and be unable to breathe in just a few minutes”, said Dr. Steven Curry of the center’s medical toxicology department.

Pratt said he is not picking up anymore snakes. “You have to be smart”, he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *