3 die of carbon monoxide poisoning in ‘tragic accident,’ deputies say

Each year, approximately 184 children in the United States die from carbon monoxide poisoning and more than 20,000 children visit the emergency room.

Three of the other victims were taken to Florida Hospital South for advanced life support.

Authorities say a family of three generations lived at home and all were residents.

Between 1999 and 2012, the Consumer Product Safety Commission reported there were 800 poisoning deaths in the USA caused by portable generators.

Two other carbon monoxide poisoning cases were reported in Polk and Brevard counties earlier Tuesday. Officials said the devices should not be used indoors.

The incident was one of several around Central Florida after Hurricane Irma swept through the state, knocking out power for more than 5 million residents. 2017 5:54AMCarbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that you can not see, taste or smell.

Do not use generators in enclosed spaces or partially enclosed areas, even with ventilation.

If your CO alarm sounds, immediately move outdoors or to an open window or door for fresh air. That includes placing a generator in a garage because of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Make sure to test alarms frequently and replace dead batteries. If you think you have been poisoned, call the nearest Florida Poison Information Center at 800-222-1222.

Call 911 or the fire department.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *