The outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party, PKK, which seeks autonomy for the largely Kurdish southeast, has waged a more than three-decade insurgency against the state.
According to a statement released by the Turkish General Staff on Saturday, they were killed over the past two weeks during operations carried out in the districts of Beytussebap in the province of Sirnak and Yuksekova in the Hakkari province.
The General Staff said in a statement that almost a hundred Kurdish militants in the southeastern region of the country had been eliminated.
Numerous weapons and thousands of pieces of ammunition were seized during the counter-terrorism operations, while 50 Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) were destroyed by explosive ordnance teams, the statement elaborated.
The PKK, which is listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the USA and the European Union, resumed its armed campaign in July 2015 after a brief reconciliation period.
A shaky ceasefire between the PKK and the Turkish government collapsed in July 2015.
Turkish main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu’s convoy came under attack by PKK terrorists on August 25 past year in Ardanuc district of northeastern Artvin province.
Security forces “neutralized” 99 PKK militants, including a high-ranking one, in operations in the country’s southeast over the last two weeks, the Turkish military said on September 9.