Over 100 Hikers Rescued in Oregon Wildfire

Authorities said they have identified a suspect.

Oregon Fire Marshal incident commander Ian Yocum said firefighters lost one residential structure and 4 outbuildings Tuesday, but crews managed to save countless others.

Burning west of Challis, eleven miles west of Twin Peaks Lookout in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness on the Middle Fork Ranger District.

The Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office has issued Level 3 (Go!) evacuations for Larch Mountain and the communities of Dodson, Warrendale, Latourell, Bridal Veil, and East Corbett.

Hundreds of people have been forced to evacuate because of a massive fire that started Saturday.

Winds are expected to remain in the 5 to 10 miles per hour range through late week, says weather.com meteorologist Linda Lam, but wind gusts up to 20 miles per hour are possible into Tuesday evening.

The Eagle Creek Fire is still actively burning and moving right now, with more than 500 firefighters working on it. All prior Level 1 evacuations in Cascade Locks have been increased to Level 2 by the Hood River County Sheriff.

The fire, which started burning on Saturday, had doubled in size to 10,000 acres from Monday night into Tuesday morning.

The first crews, from Forest Grove Fire & Rescue and the Cornelius Fire Department, brought heavy brush rigs to the Cascade Locks area on the morning of September 4, along with three firefighters from each agency.

In Washington state, the U.S. Department of Defense has agreed to assign 200 active-duty soldiers to help fight a wildfire.

Deputies contacted area residents Sunday night to notify them of the evacuation warning, Gaidos said.

Other areas are also dealing with the hazardous smoke generated from this and other fires.

The smaller Eagle Creek fire was ripping through stretches of the Columbia River Gorge, old-growth trees and and some of the area’s most popular hiking trails. One was taken to a hospital for exhaustion and dehydration.

The only way to get the hikers out was through a longer, more hard 14-mile route.

“It was just too smoky over there”, Gunn said.

The National Guard was able to drop off supplies to the hikers last night and says the hikers are a safe distance from the flames. The blaze was burning on the Eagle Creek Trail, and the only other way out was longer and more hard, and it was getting dark, so officials told them to spend the night near Tunnel Falls.

Mountain Wave Search & Rescue president Russ Gubele said search and rescue teams headed up the second trail on Sunday morning and led the hikers out the 14 miles toward Wahtum Lake. ‘Ash is coming down.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *